[RC5] rc5-72 mac os client

Robert A. Rosenberg dnet at rarpsl.com
Thu Feb 13 01:16:46 EST 2003

At 23:55 +0100 on 02/12/2003, Christian Bøtker Høj wrote about Re:
[RC5] rc5-72 mac os client:

>So far, there is only a client for Mac OS X and it hasn't been
>optimized for AltiVec/Velocity Engine yet, so it is actually quite
>slow right now. I have a dual 1GHz G4 just waiting to sink it's
>teeth into RC5-72, so I am looking forward to an optimized version
>of the Mac OS X client.
>I haven't heard anything about the possibility of a Mac OS 9 client
>so your lab access will do no good for now - unless you set them to
>work on OGR which is optimized for AltiVec/Velocity Engine.

I disagree about the need to wait for the AltiVec/Velocity Engine
optimization before producing a MacOS 9 Client (if the current cores
are good enough to issue a MacOS X client, they are good enough to
use in a MacOS 9 client). The client is composed of two parts - the
cores (which do the actual work and is CPU Specific [ie: All PPCs use
the same PPC core and all Pentiums use the same Pentium core, etc]
and the Housekeeping which reads/writes the Blocks and files (which
is Operating System Specific). Thus the old RC-64 MacOS 9 client can
be turned into a MacOS 9 RC-72 client by just using the MacOS X cores
(with the possible one time need to alter it to support the new block
format - code for which ALREADY exists in the MacOS X client so there
is minimal development time to upgrade those routines in the MacOS 9
client base). Why this has not been done is a Separate issue (it is
not as if there was never a MacOS 9 RC-64 client to get the
Housekeeping code from).
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net