[RC5] dnet is the best designed program out there IMO

Steve Bennett me at stevage.com
Fri Jan 3 14:13:26 EST 2003

It's a good question.  I suppose for me, I have a one-in-millions chance of
'winning' d.net.  I have something like a 1 in 200,000 chance of either
finding a mersenne prime (labelled indefinitely with my name on it) each
month, or 1 in 100,000 (or something) chance of finding a world's biggest 10
million digit prime number, to go down in history.  Those are both kind of
cool.  For me, it's also slightly more rewarding searching for something *no
one* has found, rather than searching for something *created* by a team of
humans.  Once you find the 33rd (or whatever) mersenne prime, you can't
search for it again.  Another rc5-72-encrypted message could be generated in
seconds/minutes.  Then another one...and another one...and another one...

I agree that it's not nice to argue against d.net on its own list.  D.net is
still a very well run (if at times uncommunicative), fun, distributed
project.  For me, its 'worthiness' and 'interest' ratings are starting to
slip a bit, that's all.

Steve