[RC5] New(ish) command line switch - multiok

James Spinks jspinks at spamcop.net
Mon Jan 6 17:19:01 EST 2003

Quoting James Spinks <jspinks at spamcop.net>:

> The questions are though...  I've tried running a second copy of the
> client with this switch but on luck (my first copy is running as a
> service).  So, I assume that the switch has to be passed to the first copy
> in order for it to allow the following copies to start up.  Can I pass
> command line switches to NT services (I seem to remember that I couldn't
> last time I tried)?  I assume that setting the environment variable won't
> work as the services startup before my session is created, so that only
> leaves the dnetc.ini - but, I can't find any clue in the docs or on the
> site as to how to specify this parameter in the ini file...

Replying to myself, but what the heck...

I've managed to get two interactive instances of the client running on my
win2k box by specifing the -multiok=1 parameter (and remembering to set a
new checkpoint file for the second instance).

I tried setting the -multiok=1 parameter for the service I have installed
(there is a box that claims to accept parameters for manually started
services - but it appears to be lying) but to no avail... the service
instance appeared temporarily as a third running copy in Task Manager, but
disappeared again quite quickly.

Any other ways to pass parameters to a service?  Is there a multiok setting
in the dnetc.ini (I can't find any settings for it under the configure
menus)?  And, assuming I manage to get all the above working, can I install
the dnetc client as a service twice?

--
James Spinks
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net