[RC5] Checking a bad proc..

Steve Bennett me at stevage.com
Wed Jan 8 22:25:42 EST 2003

I thought someone else was going to say this, but doesn't the d.net client
have a self test anyway?  When you install it, it tests a few million key
other keys to find one it's already planted, no?  Anyway, I think the
scenario you're envisaging - where the suspect CPU 'fails' just as it
discovers the winning key, somehow leading it to mark it as a negative - is
a bit far-fetched.  At worst, your CPUs will crash, not report the key, and
someone else will discover it a month or two later.

Imvho, running a computer (of any kind, 'half-damaged' or not) for the
express purpose of contributing to d.net is against the very purpose of the
project.  By all means put them to some kind of useful task - as others have
said, it's unlikely the CPUs themeselves are damaged, more likely an OS
problem (could even be a motherboard or memory issue - you talk about the
CPUs as though they run without being plugged into anything :)).

Just my two cents' worth.

Steve