[RC5] Partial work saved during time limit shutdown?

Bruce Wilson bwilson at distributed.net
Fri Jan 24 16:46:45 EST 2003

Yes, you can configure multiple clients to use the same buff* files.
You cannot safely share checkpoint files, however - perhaps this is
the point that may have confused you.

Shared buffer files are a supported configuration, but not one we
recommend.  There are limits to this approach, as only one dnetc can
access the buffer files at a time.  There are also some rare
circumstances where one bad egg can damage a shared buffer file.  (Not
sure of the details, ask bovine if you're curious)

If you have more than a handful of machines, you may want to consider
using a perproxy, and configuring each client to use a very small
local buffer (say, 2).  The client is unable to save work-in-progress
to the perproxy, but with a source of work "nearby", the risks of
having a small buffer file are minimized.

__

"I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory."
    --John Cash, id Software