[RC5] Team ID renumbering

Jim C. Nasby decibel at distributed.net
Wed Nov 5 10:20:02 EST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 06:45:38AM -0500, waldo kitty wrote:
> Larry Cloud wrote:
> >I'd like to add in my wondering "why"?  What will it accomplish?  It seems
> >like it will only be detrimental to the thousands of people within some
> >arbitrary "high ID number" - I'm glad I won't be on the receiving end of
> >all
> >those emails from people who aren't on this list asking "what happened to
> >my
> >stats?  my id# is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and its GONE!  What did you do?!?".
> >Granted, its your baby, you can do what you want, but I seriously don't see
> >anyone chiming in with "what a wonderful idea decibel"...
>
> agreed... i can't see any real reason for it other than to possibly compact
> the base... then again, the ID number doesn't have to be (and IMHO
> shouldn't be) based on the record number in the database... its just a
> number... reissue them like the US is doing with social security numbers
> after folk have passed if you really want to... give a year with no
> activity and have at it...

We will not be deleting teams due to inactivity.

The reason for the renumbering is to give the 'high-number' teams a more
user-friendly ID/url they can use. If people with high-numbered teams
really don't care, then we won't bother renumbering. If we do renumber,
we will provide a redirect mechanism so that all of the old team IDs
will still work.

So, for those of you with high-numbered teams, what do you think?
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant                  jim at nasby.net