[RC5] RC5 question

Richard Menedetter ricsi at gmx.at
Fri Oct 3 23:48:08 EDT 2003

Hi Daniel!

01 Oct 2003, Daniel Quintiliani <coredump0 at mercurylink.net> wrote:

 DQ> I was just wondering if RC5 will ever go up to the 128 bit
 DQ> secret key contest?
Are you kidding ?
every bit doubles the work that has to be done ...
128 bit RC5 key will take REALLY long.
And I don't see a point in wasting CPU time on that.

(To be honest I don't see much point in rc5-72 neither.
It's the same as rc5-64 [which we have cracked] just 256 times harder)

 DQ> I don't know if there are encryption laws anymore; I thought that they
 DQ> got rid of them a few years ago, but even if there were,
 DQ> you could restrict the contest to American users only, couldn't you?
Or host the source outside the US, and restrict it to non-americans.

PS: The client can also work on OGR, which is IMHO a project which makes more
sense to mankind.

CU, Ricsi