[RC5] RC5-72 Pentium 4 optimizations

Andreas Beckmann andreas.beckmann at student.uni-halle.de
Mon Sep 8 13:00:20 EDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Slawek <sgp at telsatgp.com.pl>
To: D.net Discussion <rc5 at lists.distributed.net>
Date: Monday, September 08, 2003 6:15 AM
Subject: [RC5] RC5-72 Pentium 4 optimizations

Hi Slawek,

>I've made some checking on my Pentium 4 2.6 GHz
>with Hyper Threading and the fastest core available
>in official d.net client is "DG 3-pipe".
>
>I have wasted some time ;) optimizing it

Thats fine!

<snip>

>Currently I cannot donate much processor time
>to the project, but I'd like to donate at least the core ;)
>

>Who should I send it to?

Open a new bug in bugzilla http://www.distributed.net/bugs/ and attach the
core there.

>Oh, and by the way - why those cores work so much slower
>with hyperthreading enabled?

Because you have two cores running at the same time fighting for the same
cpu ressources.
The core is optimized to fully utilize the cpu, there are no ressources left
that could be used by a second thread.
This might be different for OGR because it involves a lot more memory
accesses, but noone has investigated the influence of hyperthreading on OGR
so far.

Andreas
andreasb at distributed.net