[RC5] RC5-72 progress

Elektron elektron_rc5 at yahoo.ca
Sun Aug 1 12:31:55 EDT 2004

On 31 Jul, 2004, at 18:54, Per Hallström wrote:

> I don't know anything about the upcoming processors from Intel or AMD,
> but maybe they both come to the conclusion that they would benefit
> from an architecture similar to the one present in the G5 processors.
> There must be some reason for IBM to make them (the G5 processors)
> that way, so maybe the others should too.

Well, there are a couple things. First, the PowerPC family has 32
registers (though the first two/three are special-purpose), and second,
RISC is better (at least, it can do a=b+c, instead of a=b; a+=c).

Of course, the AMD 64 is fairly competitive with the G5 (10Mkeys for
2500 MHz, since it's probably not the 2500+), though I'm not sure if
this is in 64-bit mode or not (I assume it isn't).

- Purr