[RC5] building the client for Power4 or Power5

stvernaillen at ge.cokecce.com stvernaillen at ge.cokecce.com
Mon Aug 9 07:35:02 EDT 2004

You've probably figured this out by now, but afaik the latest "POWER" cpu's
as IBM calls them are actually "PowerPC" architecture.
I've struggled with all this a lot as well.
The AIX dnetc for Power is only for the original POWER and POWER2 proc's.
The latest AIX for powerpc client uses the rc5 powerpc cores, indeed
converted to toc. and this is the one to use on POWER3 and POWER4 ( and I
assume POWER5) cpu's as wel as the various rs64 ones.

In fact IBM says so themselves if you look closely

> lsattr -El proc0
frequency 1452000000     Processor Speed False
state     enable         Processor state False
type      PowerPC_POWER4 Processor type  False

Allthough don't call them PowerPC procs to one of the IBM architecture guys
, trust me :)

Stan

Le 19 juil. 04, à 19:10, Lawrence Hannon a écrit :

> I'm trying to build dnetc under AIX using later versions of the power
> processor. If I compile with anything but -q[arch,tune]=pwr (say by
> modifying the Makefile to compile with pwr3, pwr4), I get the
> following:
>
> Undefined symbol: rc5_72_unit_func_KKS2pipes
> Undefined symbol: rc5_72_unit_func_ppc_mh_2
> Undefined symbol: rc5_72_unit_func_mh604e_addi
> Undefined symbol: rc5_72_unit_func_mh603e_addi
> Undefined symbol: rc5_72_unit_func_KKS604e
>
> Any insight or suggestions as to what needs to be done?

These are the RC5 cores (assembly sources) for PowerPC processors.
They are used by default when you have CLIENT_CPU=CPU_POWERPC
If they don't suit your needs, you should remove them from the makefile
and update core_72.cpp to change the core selection logic (arrange to
select the ANSI cores that reside in rc5-72/ansi/ ). Maybe setting
CLIENT_CPU=CPU_POWER is enough to get rid of them (check cputypes.h
for details)
IIRC, assembly sources in the form *.toc.s follow the AIX ABI. But I'm
not
sure these cores would work on pwr3/pwr4 though.

Didier.

This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential and
privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader
any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is
please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system.
Thank you