[RC5] building the client for Power4 or Power5

Elektron elektron_rc5 at yahoo.ca
Mon Aug 9 09:23:37 EDT 2004

On 9 Aug, 2004, at 19:35, stvernaillen at ge.cokecce.com wrote:

> You've probably figured this out by now, but afaik the latest "POWER"
> cpu's
> as IBM calls them are actually "PowerPC" architecture.
> I've struggled with all this a lot as well.
> The AIX dnetc for Power is only for the original POWER and POWER2
> proc's.
> The latest AIX for powerpc client uses the rc5 powerpc cores, indeed
> converted to toc. and this is the one to use on POWER3 and POWER4 (
> and I
> assume POWER5) cpu's as wel as the various rs64 ones.

It doesn't really matter, since the biggest differences are
supervisor-mode instructions, reserved/other bits in instructions and
registers, the time-base, and instruction mnemonics. The PowerPC also
has branch prediction.

There's a list of "deleted POWER instructions", notably abs, div, mul,
nabs, rlmi, rrib, sle, sre, srea, and anything with the MQ register. I
think most PowerPC instructions are supported by POWER (it doesn't
say). I don't think cores use any of those.

- Purr