[RC5] Re: Needing testers (Mac OS X/G5)

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at ugent.be
Mon Aug 9 13:34:57 EDT 2004

On 9 aug 2004, at 18:57, Slawek wrote:

> Ohh, so G5 is another processor with the problem similar to Pentium 4?
> I thought this was something specific to HyperThreading only.
>
> D.net benchmark works in normal priority - just as your other
> applications/daemons.
> If benchmark is slowed down by d.net background cruncher - your other
> processes are likely to be slowed down as well.

It has nothing to do with hyperthreading or something similar on the
G5. The "problem" is simply that Mac OS X' lowest priority level is not
the same as e.g. Linux' idle priority. There is no priority level on
Mac OS X where a process will only get the idle cycles. So even if you
run dnetc at priority 19 under Mac OS X, it'll slow down all other
applications somewhat (though other applications will get a larger
percentage of the available cycles).

Jonas