[RC5] cores for GPUs ?

bovine at distributed.net bovine at distributed.net
Sun Aug 15 20:29:32 EDT 2004

> > Could you point me to the discussion itself? I'd be
> > interested in the
> > points brought. Was it about RC5 or ORG?
> >

> It's in the FAQ: http://n0cgi.distributed.net/faq/cache/165.html
>
> Docs (http://www.distributed.net/docs/) ->
>   FAQ-o-Matic ->
>     Client Software ->
>       Porting the client, and common port/feature requests ->
>         What about a core for the CPUs in video accelerator cards?

I have come across one recent website on this topic that might provide some
useful information on this topic; the General-Purpose Computation Using
Graphics Hardware website:  http://www.gpgpu.org/

There is also a research paper on the topic available in PDF form, entitled
"Using Modern Graphics Architectures for General-Purpose Computing: A
Framework and Analysis" by
Thompson, Hahn, and Oskin:
<http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/oskin/thompson-micro2002.pdf>

I have not personally had enough time to investigate this any further, but
it would be a welcomed contribution if someone wanted to research this a bit
more and determine if there is any applicability to tasks such as RC5.

Jeff