[RC5] CPU/OS Distribution stats page question

Didier Levet kakace at wanadoo.fr
Tue Dec 28 08:56:47 EST 2004

Le 28 déc. 04, à 14:31, Dmitri Gribenko a écrit :

> Hello everyone!
>
>> It's not Mac OS X but Darwin/x86. It turns out an OS ID was created
>> for
>> Darwin (x86
>> and PPC), and this ID is now meant to be Mac OS X since several users
>> complained
>> about Darwin/PPC being no longer relevant (there's a bug filed in
>> bugzilla on this topic).
> So, the statspage's text should be changed: "Mac OS X/x86" -->
> "Darwin/x86".
>
>> In short, the same OS ID applies for Darwin (old stuff) and Mac OS X.
> This must be fixed in the client's source.

What must be fixed, in this case, is the stats page. Since there's no
Darwin/x86
client, there's no need to keep this entry. Using another OS ID for Mac
OS X is
not an option, unless you want to reset the counter and/or lower Mac OS
X rank.
Messing with stats code for cosmetic changes is not an option either.

This OS ID is really meant to be for Mac OS X for quite some time now
(since Mac OS 10.1, IIRC). Said otherwise, the Darwin/x86 client was not
supposed to use this ID which was already known as Darwin/Mac OS X
(that is, Mac-only).

All in all, I won't use yet another OS ID for the Mac OS X client. If
"Mac OS X/x86"
hurts you so much, the best way to handle this issue is to remove this
entry from
the stats page.

Didier.