[RC5] Do not forget about the cheaters :)

groovyr at comcast.net groovyr at comcast.net
Wed Jan 7 16:24:57 EST 2004

>You can't base your calculation on Stats as of 05-Jan-2004
>That day's high results were caused by holidays in some countries.
>
>Try another day ;)

LOL so true and lets not forget all the blocks being sent in from hacked clients
that are not actually doing the blocks but only what is needed to get a block accepted.

When you see 2000+ units coming from 1 client per day (note: not one IP address
but 1 client on 1 box) you know something is fishy since no one PC is fast enough to that.
It makes me wonder why the clients are not watermarking the data at that level so we
can see what a single client is doing.  (use the Ethernet MAC address of that box may
be a good place to start.  perhaps encrypt it as well to make it not so easy to spot and
change it in the stream send to proxy servers etc...)

Because of the cheat clients (and yes they are out there and some have been caught
but most have not)  There is a chance that RC5-72 will never be  solved even after
all the key space has been used up  :)

I think that duplicate keys should go out to different teams/clients in the hunt
to find bogus blocks and catch the cheaters.  You would still get credit for doing the
units but at least we would be able to catch cheaters.

lets face it. RC5-72 is nothing more than a pissing match unlike like say folding at home
and looking for a cure for cancer.   So people are much more inclined to cheat.