[RC5] 999 to 1000 blocks and P5: MMX vs Classic

Nuno Lourenço nunol27 at sapo.pt
Sun Jan 11 15:34:17 EST 2004

Hi.

999 to 1000 blocks
I don't understand why the client can't go from 999 to 1000 blocks in the in
file when fetching and in the out file when writing a worked block. It
doesn't have that problem with the "-import" and "-update" command (using a
alternate-buffer-directory). I am using the dnetc v2.9005-483-GTR-03033119
for Win32 client and Win XP Pro.

P5: MMX vs Classic
The latest distribudet.net client's for RC5-64 had diferent cores for
Pentium MMX and Pentium Classic, and the MMX core was about 50% faster than
a Pentium Classic at the same MHz. Recently,  I decided do run the
distributed.net client for RC5-72 on one Pentium MMX and two 2 Pentium
Classic and found out that they had the same key rate per MHz (and were
running the same core I think). Why did the Pentium MMX lose de +50% per MHz
speed advantage on the shift from RC5-64 to RC5-72?

Thanks,
Nuno Lourenço