[RC5] Block sizes?

Jim C. Nasby decibel at distributed.net
Wed Jul 14 13:02:33 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 09:47:24AM +0200, Per Hallstr?m wrote:
> Hi!
>
> During the RC5-64 project you could choose your preferred block size.
> Will this feature be available with RC5-72 too? (A PowerMac G5
> completes more than 500 packets/day, which to me seems like a lot of
> unnecessary network traffic. Isn't it better to minimize the amount of
> data sent?)

We intentionally omitted that capability when we launched -72, because
of the added complexity in operating the network. It is possible we'll
add larger block sizes in the future, but there are currently no plans
to do so.

> A related topic: why doesn't the proxy download "super blocks" and
> split them before they are handed out to the clients? Can't uploading
> to the key servers be done with "super blocks" too, at least when a
> whole range of blocks are completed on the same machine with the same
> id etc?
>
> /Per

Not only is it possible, but I believe some versions of the proxies for
RC5-64 did this. But this adds a lot more code and a lot more places for
bugs, so it's not currently done.
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant                  jim at nasby.net