[RC5] RC5-72 progress

Per Hallström phand03 at student.vxu.se
Sat Jul 31 06:54:34 EDT 2004

On 30 jul 2004, at 11:09, Daniel Quintiliani wrote:

>> Hello nations :)
>>
>>   Hmmm.. I want to ask about our RC5-72 today progress: how long will
>>   it gets (I mean how much time) to complete RC5-72 project?
> Funny you asked, I was just recently investigating that question
> myself.
> <snip snip>

It would be interesting to see what your method would yield if applied
to the same portion of work on the RC5-64 project. Maybe both
time-wise, that is, if you used your method to project the time to
completion using the plots for the first year and a half (or so), and
using plots for the first 0.02% (or so) of work on the RC5-64 project.

If you get an approximate completion time that is way off maybe you can
suspect that the method does not work, and you'll have to figure out
another method to get an answer to the question :)

On 31 jul 2004, at 05:38, adrian wrote:

> ok , what if everyone switched over to g4 or g5's and got the
> corresponding 6-7 fold increase in keys/s ?

Dnetc really likes AMD processors as well. At least my Athlon, a dual
1.66 GHz machine that crunches at about 10 Mkeys/s. However, the dual
2.0 GHz PowerMac G5 crunches at about 30 Mkeys/s. At the same clock
frequency the P4 would crunch at 3-4 Mkeys/s or so, if I remember
correctly.

I don't know anything about the upcoming processors from Intel or AMD,
but maybe they both come to the conclusion that they would benefit from
an architecture similar to the one present in the G5 processors. There
must be some reason for IBM to make them (the G5 processors) that way,
so maybe the others should too.