[RC5] RC5 on laptops & CPU temperature

SideWinder sidewinder at kolumbus.fi
Thu Nov 4 01:45:00 EST 2004

At 18:56 2.11.2004, you wrote:
>When running rc5 of a laptop that I have, I've noticed that the CPU
>cooling fan will run constantly while Dnet is active. Also the underside
>of the computer feels much hotter than normal.

Laptop coolings solutions have less marginal for safety in 100% CPU
utilization operation, but if the thing is in working order, it should not
cause any problems (cleaning of the heatsink with a vacuum cleaner or a can
of compressed air might be needed). If you are worried about the increase
in the surface temperature, you could place the laptop, with the lid open,
centered on a metal surface covering just 1/3 of the width (like the top of
a tower desk machine chassis). The cooling fan and the CPU socket is
usually to the side of the laptop, so this arrangement ensures minimum
cooling air inflow resistance and also makes sure hot parts don't damage
the surface below (unless the top of your tower is made from soft plastic...).

>Is the CPU in danger of overheating? If it is how do I get it to pause
>dnet when the CPU reaches a set temperature, or run intermittently,
>(periodically pausing)?

IIRC the temperature monitoring and pausing works only in Apple G3 and G4
laptops. If you worry about the noise of the fan, you could use a task
scheduler to run "dnetc.com -pause" and "dnetc.com -unpause" in a few
minute intervals.

--

PGP key ID: 0x77CCE3D6

...Computer Science: solving today's problems tomorrow.