[RC5] Query on recent submission losses

Jonathan Smith jsmith at cygnacom.com
Mon Oct 18 16:29:22 EDT 2004

I've been monitoring the difference between the number of blocks submitted
by my pproxy to distributed.net and the number of blocks that are credited
to me by distributed.net, call it my slippage.  Since the start of October
I've seen a sharp increase in the slippage rate between submitted blocks and
credited blocks and was wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing.

To provide some numbers, in September which was a fairly typical month in
terms of slippage I averaged:
 875 blocks a day received by my pproxy server
 867 blocks a day credited by distributed.net
for an average of 9 blocks a day slippage, or 0.87% slippage.

So far in October I've averaged:
 869 blocks a day received by my pproxy server
 775 blocks a day credited by distributed.net
for an average of 94 blocks a day slippage, or 10.87% slippage!

Although this is an average, it is a consistent problem and not the result
of one or two days of exceptionally high slippage.  There have been 10 days,
out of 17 processed so far this month, with 85 blocks or more of slippage
and only one day where more blocks were credited than sent (single day
negative slippages are normally a fairly common occurrence due to pproxy and
keyproxy delays)

Basically I'm wondering if this is an isolated problem I'm having or a if it
is systematic issue with distributed.net,
    Jonathan Smith