[RC5] Exponential growth probably right

Marcin Sochacki wanted at gnu.univ.gda.pl
Tue Oct 19 14:51:14 EDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 10:11:22PM -0400, Daniel Quintiliani wrote:
> So perhaps you guys were right and RC5-72 *will* finish within our lifetimes.

That would be difficult. It's certain, that people have created
fake clients, and they send a LOT of fake packets as counted (to get
better stats). I predict you would have to recheck the whole keyspace
again and again until you find the correct key.

I'm writing "you" because I decided not to participate in RC5-72, as
it's pointless. Some machines I run work on OGR, which is less tempting
for spoofers (project has no defined "end", and there is no reward
associated with it). I also checked other distributed projects, and
on some memory rich machines I switched to Folding at home, which at least
does some useful calculations.

Marcin