[RC5] RC5-72 G5 core

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at ugent.be
Sun Oct 31 07:18:18 EST 2004

On 31 Oct 2004, at 08:11, Per Hallström wrote:

> The G5 processor has been available for a long time now, and the
> fastest RC5-72 core is still slower (per GHz) than on the G4.

The G5 is simply slower per MHz/GHz than the G4. For some applications,
this is offset by the larger memory bandwidth, but rc5 doesn't care
about that. Of course, the G5 also scales much better MHz-wise than the
G4.

> Is there any optimization work in progress? Are there any plans at all
> for an improved G5 core?

I don't know. It's of course possible that there are ways to improve
the keyrate on the G5, but it would surprise me if you could ever get a
keyrate per MHz comparable to a G4.

Jonas