[RC5] How to configure client to leave idle CPU time?

Wacław Schiller torinthiel at megapolis.pl
Tue Sep 7 09:39:34 EDT 2004

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 09:20:32 -0400, waldo kitty <wkitty42 at alltel.net> wrote:

> i'd instead be looking into the overheating problem... when was the last time that box
> was opened and dusted out? when was the last time it was opened and the fans checked
> for proper operation?

About month ago ;)
It's just that it's a bit too hot for this CPU & fan. And I'm not buying a new fan for
a box on which nothing CPU-eating except dnetc is run. Hell, the most CPU-eating
apps there are browser and solitare.

> the poverheating problem could be due to lack of decent circulation due to cables
> blocking airflow... it could also be due to insufficient or too much thermal compound
> on the heatsink...

Maybe, I haven't investigated that. It was installed by a person who should know
how to do it, but I haven't checked myself, so I'm not sure ;) Maybe I'll do it when
I have some time.

> one should have these things checked and handled at least once a year to prolong the
> life of the box... mine are all dusted out at least twice a year whether they need it
> or not... then, while the covers are off, a quick power on to make sure the fans are
> all turning properly but not long enough to let it boot... then turned back off again,
> recovered and put back in place for return to normal operations...

Yeah. My box (not the one mentioned) has one part of cover completely removed ;)
But I' thinking of closing it one day ;)
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916
   torinthiel at megapolis.pl
   gpg: B06901F1 fpr: FAA3 559F CAE9 34DE CDC8  7346 2B6E 39F2 B069 01F1
 "No classmates may be used during this examination"