[RC5] Power PC G4 vs. G5

Ben Payne bpayne at jetheaddev.com
Mon Aug 1 19:07:31 EDT 2005

I have been very surprised by the relative performance of the G4 and the
G5 processors.  I'm hoping that some people here can confirm my finding
and/or possibly explain why this would be occurring.  I have noticed
that the 7450 core is the fastest for both the G4 and G5 processors.  I
have also noticed that there is a 970 core but it has been disabled.

So here are the numbers I'm getting:

I have a dual processor G5 1.8 GHz it does ~18 million keys a sec

I have a 1.4 GHz mac mini that does ~15 million keys a sec.

That all sound good until you add the fact that the G5 has two
processors and is actually clock-for-clock less than 50% the key rate of
the G4.

G5: 18 / 1.8 / 2 = 5 million keys per sec per GHz per CPU

G4: 15 / 1.4 = 10.7 million keys per sec per GHz per CPU

-> Ben