[RC5] Website Content Suggestions

Jonathan Smith jsmith at cygnacom.com
Wed Aug 3 15:41:18 EDT 2005

I can see where you had some questions on how to best adjust the default
setting on the client, but I'm going to leave those for someone else to
address.

For the % completed so far, obviously we are going slower than the rc5-64
project.  Rc5-72 is a much more difficult task and the project hasn't grown
in size to compensate.  However even with rc5-64 my recollection is that,
while it took 1,726 days (almost 5 years) to find the key, it took at least
1 year and I think almost 2 years to pass the 1% complete mark.

Towards the end of the project, we could have redone all the work from the
first year in a matter of days.

That gain was due to gaining additional support in terms of new
participants, additional performance optimizations in the cores, additional
computers being added, and Moore's law raising the speed of new computers.
Using the 18 month doubling rule of thumb for Moore's law, by the end of the
project new computer performance had doubled over 3 times since the
beginning!

I wish the key rate history for rc5-64 was still active so I could double
check my recollections, but they should be too far off.

So I wouldn't be too discouraged by the fact that rc5-74 is still at only
0.247% complete.  That rate is bound to improve greatly.

	Jonathan