[RC5] Binge and Purge...

Stanley Appel s.appel at bigfoot.com
Thu Aug 11 04:05:46 EDT 2005

from an old e-mail:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-rc5 at lists.distributed.net On Behalf Of Jeff Lawson
Sent: Sunday, 08 April, 2001 10:19
To: Jim C. Nasby
Subject: Re: [RC5] buff-in

The personal proxy has always been modified FIFO.  Client is technically
a modified LIFO (its buffer format is LIFO, but it makes efforts to
extract blocks in order according to their keynumber).  Since we assign
blocks in a generally linear distribution, the effective order from the
client is generally FIFO.

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> Unless the pproxy code has changed, you have it backwards. In either case,
> the client is pseudo-fifo... it does the block with the lowest block ID
> first.
>
> Moo!
> dB!
>
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 05:57:05AM -0500, Jon Back wrote:
> > Definitely   FIFO  (or LILO, depending on whether you are "the glass is
> > half-empty or half-full" type.
> >
> > for your info, the PProxy is a modified FIFO. It will issue the oldest
> > blocks first, but also tries to give the size block requested, therefore
> > giving the oldest correct sized blocks first.
> >
> > thought you'd like to know.

thanks!