[RC5] Client for Windows/64Bit

Scott Dodson sdodson at sdodson.com
Mon Aug 15 20:27:55 EDT 2005

Fuzzy Logic wrote:

>I'm not so sure of that. It is possible that the 32-bit client would
>perform better than a 64-bit client. Also, currently, the gain for
>creating a 64-bit client would be small given the small number of
>people using a 64-bit processor AND a 64-bit version of Windows (which
>is still in beta test anyway).

Ya, while there's a x-64 version of XP available very few are running it.

This past weekend I had the pleasure of being part of a team assisting
about 4,000 students move into dorms and get connected to the Internet.
Surpsingly there were a great deal of machines branded AMD64, and
several Intel EMT64 machines though those were harder to spot.  Yet none
of the machines I encountered actually had 64bit versions of XP on
them.  I was a bit surprised by this, but oh well.  XP-64 was released a
few months ago and we're just now seeing mainstream driver support for
it, I imagine OEMs will switch soon.  I think we'll see the fastest move
to 64bit when Vista is released.  It's taken about two years for the
chip to become mainstream, I imagine it will take another year or so for
software vendors to catch up.

Besides, we'd need someone really good at amd64 optimization before
you'd see any dramatic improvements.

--
Scott