[RC5] Fetching work for isolated machines

Elektron elektron_rc5 at yahoo.ca
Tue Aug 16 08:42:52 EDT 2005

On 16 Aug, 2005, at 11:37, Emerson Gomes wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I have a couple of old machines which I would like to leave running
> d.net off from a boot disk containing DOS and the DOS Client. However,
> those machines don't have any kind of network connection, and I would
> like to fetch a bunch of work units (like, 100 work units and leave
> them running for a month straigh) to the floppy disk from a windows
> machine. and later, when the work is done, I would collect the
> processed work units and send them over on the windows machine.
> How would I do that?

First, I'll say that it probably isn't worth your while, if it takes a
month to process 100 work units.

What I'd do is keep two clients on the floppy - one Windows, one DOS.
Run the windows one to fetch/flush to the buffers.

Of course, floppies may be a bit slow. You should be able to set it to
store buffer files in A:\ or so (probably by setting the path to the
files). Then have a windows client configured to also read buffers from
A:\, and you can move the floppy, fetch/flush, and move the floppy
back. Hopefully the cruncher will be in the middle of a block and not
care that the disk was removed. If there's no monitor connected, you
may be able to get away with typing 'r' (retry) after reinserting the
floppy, just in case.

Lastly, there's the -import option which you can use to import blocks
from buffer files, but sadly no -export, so you'd have to move buffer
files around somewhat (specifically buff-in from the windows client to
the floppy, and buff-out from the DOS client to the floppy), which
would involve stopping the cruncher.

Alternatively, don't do anything, and use the money you save on your
electricity bill to buy a new computer.

- Purr