[RC5] Client for Windows/64Bit

Christopher Hicks chicks at chicks.net
Wed Aug 17 18:41:11 EDT 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Scott Dodson wrote:
> XP-64 was released a few months ago and we're just now seeing mainstream
> driver support for it, I imagine OEMs will switch soon.  I think we'll
> see the fastest move to 64bit when Vista is released.  It's taken about
> two years for the chip to become mainstream, I imagine it will take
> another year or so for software vendors to catch up.

All of that is probably sadly perfectly true in that part of the world,
but consider for a moment that for the last year I've been using a very
stable very snappy amazingly cheap Opteron box as my primary desktop with
a fully 64-bit OS, applications, browser, dual-monitor support with 64-bit
drivers and it happened to include complete source code and award winning
web server, database server, and NSA-developed security.  Obviously I'm
talking about Linux.  I understand this entire discussion started because
the OP asked about AMD64 support on Windows, but I think its important to
note when the software vendors in question are the proprietary closed
source software vendors and not the open source software vendors that have
had a production-quality product with apps and dev tools in the field for
over a year now.  Windows (really IE, but they're inseperable according to
MS so its all the same right? Anyway...) so Windows gets tabbed browsing
really soon now too.  Yee-haw.  At least for me personaly Windows has
become merely a gaming platform.  I understand other people have "legacy
needs" for Windows and I'm not saying Windows isn't "important", but when
how it is in the Windows world gets purveyed as how it is in the Whole
world I tend to get a bit amused.  :)

--
</chris>

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)