[RC5] More about 64bit clients

Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho decio at decpp.net
Wed Aug 24 17:38:28 EDT 2005

On Aug 24, 2005, at 5:36 PM, Fuzzy Logic wrote:

> Actually, I'm not surprised. Often, the 64-bit version of applications
> performs slower than the 32-bit version.

I take it my answer on x86-64's performance improvements just went
over your head?

I would guess one of these:

1. the existing cores are either all optimized for one CPU (say
Athlon 64) and he's got a different one (say Pentium 4)
2. the cores were written for scratch instead of based on an existing
32-bit core and hence can't compete with the current 32-bit cores
(unlikely)
3. the cores were based on an older version of a 32-bit core, and new
ones were written and not ported to 64 bits, and the 32-bit cores are
holding the lead now.

What I would never guess is that there's something inherently slower
about x86-64 that makes running the core slower. At best the code
from the fastest 32-bit code could be copied verbatim and should
perform as quickly on the 64-bit binary as in the 32-bit binary.

You could do better than publicly display your ignorance in this topic.

Décio