[RC5] Cell processor documentation

Taka Khumbartha scarreigns at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 15:23:23 EDT 2005

On 8/25/05, Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho <decio at decpp.net> wrote:
> It looks extremely powerful for parallelizable and vectorizable tasks
> usually tackled by distributed computing projects.

indeed it is.  and, since Toshiba and Sony are also working on it with
IBM, with the success of the PS3, it is likely that this technology
will be used in their other products, like HDTVs and other home
electronics, telephones, refrigerators/ovens/washer/dryers?, and
eventually PCs.  these devices will all be able to communicate with
each other, supposedly, and create their own distributed computing
environment.  frankly it scares me.  reading about this
technology/architecture and then thinking "why is it being used in a
just gaming system?" ..............  it seems too powerful for it's
own good, if you ask me.  think of the military/AI applications.  I
Robot anyone? =]

there is also some (quite older) documentation about it here:
http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cell/archive/Cell0.html

and a newer version here:
http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cell/Cell0_v2.html