[RC5] The monetary costs of distributed computing

Elektron elektron_rc5 at yahoo.ca
Mon Feb 28 07:03:42 EST 2005

On 28 Feb, 2005, at 02:58, Daniel Quintiliani wrote:

> I was just curious as to how much it costs to run dnetc on a
> computer, considering the fact that it prevents the computer
> from going into power saving mode (with the exception of the
> monitor). So I found a calculator at http://www.energystar.gov
> (the direct link to the site is
> http://pmdb.cadmusdev.com/powermanagement/quickCalc.html)
> No dnetc, 1 computer, 1 monitor: about $36.03/yr to keep it
> running 24/7
> With dnetc, 1 computer, 1 monitor: about $55.45/yr to keep it
> running 24/7

It may be that simple for businesses, but it's not that simple for
running dnetc. For one, you don't have to prevent your computer from
sleeping: Letting dnetc run during idle time is plenty of time. You can
even turn it off at the end of the day.

Of course, it prevents the CPU from going into power saving mode (a
difference of around 10 watts on a G4), among other things. Laptop
users will notice their fans kicking in more often (except on my iBook,
which seems to have stopped using its fan).

END