[RC5] Stats RSS Feed?

Jim C. Nasby decibel at distributed.net
Fri Jan 7 19:18:29 EST 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 04:46:19PM -0600, Ben Gavin wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:07:43 -0600, Jim C. Nasby <decibel at distributed.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:12:06AM -0600, Ben Gavin wrote:
> > > Of course, if we go XML for everything, then we need to figure out
> > > some way of getting XML out of the database layer itself [without an
> > > intervening PHP page], or we're introducing an XML translation step
> > > for every page in the system, which is probably sub-optimal [even with
> > > caching of the XML output].  I don't know that PostgreSQL has an XML
> > > output method, so this may not be an option at this time.  We've
> > > already got classes which generate all the lists we need, so maybe
> > > introducing the XML step for everything at this time is a bad idea...
> >
> > I'm not sure why you feel this is the case. There's no reason we can't
> > use PHP or Java or what-have-you as a middle-tier that talks to the
> > database and generates XML data. This XML data could then be converted
> > into any format we needed.
>
> Right, and I agree with you that eventually it would be nice to get
> there [after all, I suggested it eons ago ;), and I probably wasn't
> the first ], however the point has been brought up before, and I think
> it still has merit, that we're basically introducing another
> translation layer for rather minimal [in the end] gain.  If we were

I think the gain in code simplicity is well worth it. If it was so easy
to generate all these different output formats just out of PHP then it'd
be done by now. But of course the first priority is to get XML output
for everything, which has it's own set of benefits.

> able to get the translation costs minimized to be negligible as
> compared to the total page processing cost, then I'd say we should go
> that direction.  However, I've been involved in a number of projects
> that utilized an XML based middle-tier, and unfortunately a number of
> times we had to pay a pretty significant price to generate that XML
> from the underlying dataset.

There's not enough data on any page to make the translation an issue.

> In either cases, discussions such as this probably belong in stats-dev
> rather than on the main RC5 list ;)

Agreed.
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant           decibel at distributed.net