[RC5] Who's interested in working on stats?

Jim C. Nasby decibel at distributed.net
Tue Mar 1 19:14:51 EST 2005

Anyone who's taken a gander at the list of stats bugs in bugzilla
recently knows that there's a ton of fixes and improvements that are
slated for stats. The problem is that there's not really any staff
members who are currently working on any of these items, at least not
with any regularity. This is just the reality of the amount of output
you can get from a small group of volunteers, myself included.

Fortunately, stats is one section of our code that is completely, 100%
open. Anyone on this list can download it and start hacking away. My
question is: is there anyone who's interested in doing this?

For those of you who are thinking "I don't know X, Y, or Z, so there's
no way I could work on stats", there's no reason to think that way.
There's any number of ways you can help. First, stats uses a very broad
range of tools; PostgreSQL, sh, perl, PHP, and CSS come to mind. Second,
there's plenty of bugs that are either minor fixes, or don't require a
lot of knowledge to tackle. Third, there's plenty of help available, on
irc, on statsdev@, and even on this list. Most important, you learn by
doing. Personally, stats was the first sizeable client-server database I
ever worked on. I learned by doing, and you can too.

This is your chance to play an active role in the development of
distributed.net. I know there's certainly a lot of talented people who
run dnetc; just looking at the user-written utilities proves that. As
well as those who pull data from stats.distributed.net to do other kinds
of analysis on.

So, who's interested?
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant           decibel at distributed.net