[RC5] stats downtime

Christopher Hicks chicks at chicks.net
Mon Nov 21 12:00:21 EST 2005

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, bert wrote:
> Thanks for that explanation Chris
>
> Chris Jones wrote:
>> It depends on how long it takes them to get the card installed, get
>> everything tested, and get it back operational.
>>
>> As I understand it (I'm not terribly well-versed on the hardware side of
>> stats-box) the new card is a few models higher, and a few years newer.
>> IIRC, it supports a whole host of things the current one doesn't.  Plus, it
>> was noted that the vendor won't cross-ship (send us a replacement while we
>> send back the faulty one), so we'd have to ship the entire unit back --
>> which could mean potentially weeks of unavailability, during which we
>> wouldn't even have the server.

Precisely.  This is why server hardware with onsite support is so nice if
you have the funding for it.  If this were running your payroll you better
not be having these sorts of worries.  :)

--
</chris>

There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make
it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way
is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.
  -- C.A.R. Hoare