[RC5] After several months away from distributed.net...

Jim C. Nasby decibel at distributed.net
Thu Jan 12 16:36:58 EST 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 03:19:43PM -0500, Daniel Quintiliani wrote:
> ...I find that participation, at least in RC5-72, has gone down a lot.
> I'm sure it's for obvious reasons, such as RC5-72 taking over a
> millenium at the current rates to reach 100% and OGR-25p2 taking (my
> intelligent guess from reading the FAQ entry) several years.
>
> I also noticed that many more people are using BOINC and its projects
> instead of distributed.net. Personally, I prefer distributed.net's
> software and the way they do things to BOINC's. Maybe it's just the fact
> that BOINC is newer.
>
> I had a suggestion for possibly bringing more people to distributed.net.
> I noticed from reading (I wasn't around distributed.net back then) that
> distributed.net had a lot more success with the short-term projects (1
> day to 5 years) than the current long-term ones.
> Perhaps we should adopt some more of these short-term projects, or even
> run our own short-term cryptography contests, with or without a prize,
> instead of focusing on these long-term projects. These short-term
> projects would be done at the same time as RC5-72 and OGR. It would
> bring more people to our long-term projects while at the same time
> making things a lot more fun and exciting.
>
> What do you think?

Code submissions happily accepted. :)

Seriously, we'd love to have more projects for participants to choose
from, but without people to work on those projects they probably won't
happen. Likewise, there's a laundry list of stats improvements in
bugzilla, but without folks stepping up to the plate to work on them,
they probably won't get done either.
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect            decibel at distributed.net