[RC5] Help with justification of running Dnet at work

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Fri Mar 17 14:16:14 EST 2006

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:30:03 -0500
"Earl Stenlund" <havoc at totalhavoc.net> wrote:

> To be honest I know what is happening in the lab. We run a device that
> 'write protects' the hard drive. The users can do what every they want and
> when they reboot everything is back to normal. The product uses a hidden
> temporary partition to work from. If the machine is not rebooted for say a
> week or two that partition fills up and the machine can freak out. We have
> tried to explain this to him but he refuses to listen. He says it is D.net
> doing it. You reboot the machines and they run fine. I mean for god sacks he
> is bitching about powerpoint being slow at launch. If I go down there reboot
> the machine powerpoint loads fine.

Sounds like you need to head over to him armed with a very large LART
stick ;-)

Have you thought of asking the company that makes the device that
protects the hard drive if they can do something about this though, it
is after all their product which is causing the problem.

Also, why not disable d.net on his machines for now and then wait until
the machines slow down, grind to a halt and then speed up when
rebooted? That way you can prove that d.net isn't doing anything at all
to cause the problem.

--

Brian Morrison

bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk