[RC5] Help with justification of running Dnet at work

Elektron elektron_rc5 at yahoo.ca
Mon Mar 27 20:25:22 EST 2006

On 2006-03-17, at 14:01:42, Earl Stenlund wrote:

> I agree, but the instructor that is complaining is an IS instructor
> that
> teaching in our Cisco Academy and our Security program. The people
> in our
> Digital Effects and Animation program and our Film Program have not
> complained once. They use Maya, Photoshop, 3d Studio Max, Studio
> 100, Final
> Cut and other programs on both MAC and PC.

The world is full of people who are have qualifications but don't
know anything (especially stuff not immediately related to stuff
they're meant to know).

Dnetc does cause a noticable slowdown on OS, even at nice 19 (about
20% against a program that just loops - OSX doesn't support nice 20,
and apparently this is a feature, not a bug). But most people won't
notice it, and it's normally not applicable on Windows, except with
hyperthreading (is there an option to disable dnetc when processor
usage goes above a certain amount?).

The biggest reason I don't run it is I can't be bothered to stick it
on my server, and it really does use non-negligible power on my
laptop (causing more heat and the fan to come on occasionally). The
increase in power consumption on a desktop is also not negligible,
though it may be small (on the order of 10 watts). Multiply it by the
number of computers you have.

Probably the biggest reason he doesn't want to run it is he doesn't
like the idea that somebody wants to take computing power, however
small, away from him. They're his computers, so only he should be
able to decide what runs and what doesn't, and the thought that
someone else gets to decide is upsetting him.

One option is to make it so that it only runs while nobody's logged
in, which is what they do at my uni (except they presumably do work
for graduates, not OGR).

- Purr