[RC5] [Announcement] Beta client for the PlayStation 3

Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho decio at decpp.net
Tue Aug 7 04:54:17 EDT 2007

Dear friends,

The PlayStation 3 is here. Perhaps you know somebody running
Folding at Home on theirs? We couldn't sit idle. Our crack team of
programmers has ported dnetc to the PlayStation 3 platform, complete
with optimized RC5-72 assembly code for record-breaking speed.

We really mean it: we have measured the PlayStation 3 processing
RC5-72 work units at close to 170 Mkeys/sec, easily making this the
fastest hardware platform our client has been ported to.  This is
more than 22 times faster than a computer with a Pentium 4 processor
running at the same clock speed as the PS3's Cell processor. Although
OGR is enabled on this build, work on optimized OGR cores is in
progress; expect a suboptimal rate of about 17 Mnodes/sec if you
choose to run OGR.

You are welcome to download this pre-release client from our web site
at http://www.distributed.net/download/prerelease.php. Please note
that this client expires in 2 weeks, when we plan to release a new
version including optimized OGR cores.

We thank you for your continuing support. Moo! ]:8)