[RC5] [Announcement] Beta client for the PlayStation 3

Decibel! decibel at distributed.net
Tue Aug 14 13:24:32 EDT 2007

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 01:39:26AM -0700, david fleischer wrote:
> That's great! When are we going to see a bump in the statistics?

Well, Cell is already #4 for yesterdays CPU stats:
http://stats.distributed.net/misc/platformlist.php?project_id=8&view=yc

> The Cell processor comes with 8 floating-point "co-processors",
> How does this help RC-5?
> Can you explain a little bit what was the code implementation
> strategy?

There's one main (PPE) core in the cell and 8 additional SPEs. In PS3s,
only 7 of the SPEs are available, and when running under non-native OSes
the hypervisor uses one, so that leaves 6 available to dnetc.
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect            decibel at distributed.net