[RC5] RC5-72 Clarity?

Marcin Sochacki wanted at gnu.univ.gda.pl
Mon Jun 4 12:49:56 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 01:48:44AM +0200, Danie van Heerden wrote:
> Should rc5-72 be stopped, and OGR-P2 be completed, most of our installed
> clients will no longer be serviceable.

This is a side issue, but in fact D.Net rules state that you shouldn't
run the client on computers without authorisation. For example, say
you've been working at a university, when you leave the job, the clients
should have been uninstalled.

I know this is sometimes difficult to perform, technically, but frankly
speaking you are boosting your stats with computers you no longer
manage. Thus you shouldn't complain about old clients stopping crunching
when RC5 is withdrawn from the project.

> Could I perhaps suggest an automatic
> core update on new dnetc clients?

This could open a potential hole for malware, and this is probably one
of the reasons D.Net never created the autoupdate feature. Also, if you
still have authority over the machines, you can employ some easy, third
party solution to update the clients. For instance I've used shared
Samba folders for my Windows clients and autologon script, which would
download the newer version if found.

About the main topic -- if keeping up the RC5-72 infrastructure is not
too expensive, then IMO it can stay up to leave some place for
hardcore fans. If it's too expensive -- withdraw it altogether.
Seriously, there is no point at all in RC5-72. The prize was never a
factor for me; I crunched for RC5-64 and earlier projects because they
were relatively short and fun. When RC5-72 was announced it was clear
that >256 times more work is not going to be done quickly, even with
Moore's law. So I switched everything to OGR.

With today's huge power draw of the CPUs, we should first think
about the environment. Having spare cycles is not as valuable, as having
spare energy. Few people have the latter and I vote that if energy is
spent for crunching, then it must have a useful purpose. OGR is such a
project, so it should be made the default in d.net, if possible also for
existing older clients (I remember RC5 was the preferred one in default
install if work units were available for both projects).

Marcin