[RC5] RC5-72 Clarity?

Jim C. Nasby decibel at distributed.net
Wed Jun 6 17:43:38 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 01:48:44AM +0200, Danie van Heerden wrote:
> If one of the administrators of distributed.net would care to commit I would
> appreciate.
>
> Elitehackers.info will be ten years old in August and we are a fairly large
> sub team contributing belonging to Dutch Power Cows team which we have been
> running for as long we have existed.
>
> I would some clarity regarding decisions I have to make:
>
> Will rc5-72 be stopped?
>
> We are not into crunching for the prize money, but purely for the enjoyment
> of competing against each other.
>
> Another factor I have to consider is that most members of our group have
> limited or no access to the existing clients we have loaded on PCs.
> Therefore should RC5-72 be terminated, the newer clients will switch to
> OGR-P2, but older clients will die off.

Based on what people have said on lists and the fact that we don't
currently have another project to replace it with, we intend to leave
RC5 running, at least for now. If we get another project going we might
revisit that decision.

> On completion of OGR-P2?
>
> Should rc5-72 be stopped, and OGR-P2 be completed, most of our installed
> clients will no longer be serviceable. Could I perhaps suggest an automatic
> core update on new dnetc clients? So even if a core should change to a new
> project, existing clients can be updated, preferably configurable to specify
> our own servers to keep config files intact. Even if the file size overhead
> increases, with today's bandwidth available, it should not matter. Should
> another project be used, stats servers is a must so that we can keep on
> competing against each other

The reason we've avoided any automatic update capability is that you
have to be extremely careful about how that's managed, otherwise you
create the possibility of creating an instant botnet for some clever
hacker. This is made even more complicated with distributed.net because
of the proxy network.
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect            decibel at distributed.net