[RC5] RSA Secret-Key Challenge Termination

Christopher Hicks chicks at chicks.net
Mon May 21 13:42:52 EDT 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 08:40:30AM -0700, Kevin McCoy wrote:
>    I'd like to echo Greg's comments. I stopped doing RC5 long ago and took up
>    OGR instead since the RC5 project time frame is a bit absurd.

For a while now I've viewed RC5-72 as a great way to show off how much CPU you can waste. This has its admirable and despicable aspects, but its worth realizing that some of us will give you our CPU cycles as long as there are stats to prove that we did it.

>    I do think we will lose a lot of participants that were interested in the
>    prize money or "sticking it to the man", so the next new project should be
>    chosen well.

I think we can come up with some way to chew up CPU cycles that is useful and sexy.  But if you have to choose one or the other, pick sexy and we can always convince a few of the accolytes that OGR and other worthwhile causes is a better way to waste their CPU cycles.

>    So for now, lets focus on OGR and whatever new project comes next.

I appreciate that d.net is a volunteer-only organization and it is awesome what has been accomplished in the spare time of so few, but I hope that this transition encourages everyone to focus on creating alternative projects and creating the stats infrastructure to keep track of it all.

Thanks again and keep on crunching.

--
</chris>

"The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back!"