[RC5] project suggestions

Jim C. Nasby decibel at distributed.net
Mon May 21 17:24:23 EDT 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 04:38:41PM -0400, P WR wrote:
> There are many distributed computing projects that could use our help. And
> helping them would give us a larger variety of projects to work on. And
> even if you don't like my idea of merging with other projects, I definitely
> think we need more short-term projects. There are many cool cryptography
> projects that we could compute. And they wouldn't take hundreds of years to
> complete like RC5.

I love the thought of helping other projects out, but there is a
down-side: there's a non-trivial amount of work involved in adding
projects to our network. For one thing, it means new clients, which
folks have to go and download. We'd also need to create new cores to go
in those new clients. I believe every new project requires an update to
the proxy code, and it certainly means new code for the master (although
there's been some work on allowing for multiple masters that might make
this easier). Finally there's stats, with the biggest challenge there
being "what should I measure".

Of course, all that is just a 'simple matter of code'. It's really just
a matter of getting it done. I don't want to rain on the parade, but we
just don't have a lot of time being spent on code changes. For stuff
like this to happen with any speed, it's going to take some folks (and
by folks I mean d.net participants) stepping up to the plate and getting
that work done.
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect            decibel at distributed.net