[RC5] Secret-Key Challenge status

Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho decio at decpp.net
Wed May 23 12:28:16 EDT 2007

Le May 23, 2007 à 1:04 PM, bert a écrit :

> tyco wrote:
>> There is no reason to stop RC5-72. Noone has thought that he could
>> win
>> the prize.
>>
>> The RC5-72 projekt must go on. I will crunch until the last day. ;-)
>>

> I for one vote that it be ended,as it's going to be forever for it to
> even hit 1%(I estimate 15 or so years).

Sorry, but you're wrong. You're assuming that computing power and
user base will remain constant in 15 years. I can foresee the user
base shrinking further, but on the other hand, if we had a mere 500
or so PS3s onboard (and nothing else), we would already meet your
estimate. This is using today's hardware, without upgrading it for 15
years -- who can tell what will come along in the meantime.

RC5-72 will take long to finish, yes, but there's no need to exaggerate.

Décio