[RC5] project suggestions

Open Phugu openphugu at gmail.com
Thu May 24 23:46:26 EDT 2007

On 5/22/07, david fleischer <cilantro_il at yahoo.com> wrote:
> One interesting alternative is the Boinc client... true there is an overhead
> in installing it, but that way you can concentrate on developing the cores,
> whatever Dnet might decide to apply them to.
>
> RC5 is valuable in that it provides a benchmark. Similar to what the EFF
> did with their DES effort. But without a reward it feels pretty pointless.
> Can you keep the key servers running anyway?
> It's a pity that RSA in their new organization have decided to terminate
> this, it provided a good excuse to run the client as "an inverted" CPU
> meter. Perhaps we can find another source of the prize to keep the effort
> running.
>
> Obviously there hasn't been a lot of progress on the key space, but this
> was about to change, with the development of FPGA clients, and video
> card systems. I'm wondering, what happened with all the FPGA designs
> that were purported to be in the final design stages?
>
> Again, the important thing about RC5, in my opinion, is that it did a basic
> type of research in that it was a "brute force" effort. Thus gauging the
> compute power relative to key strength rather than some more elaborate
> analysis.
>
> Perhaps a better way to use the CPU cycles, and the compute power of
> other devices, is for instance to devote the client to factoring. This is also
> a basic type of brute compute power benchmarking, but more involved in
> terms of the theory.
>
> Has the RSA factoring challenge also been terminated?
There are many RSA factoring challenges, and none of them have been terminated.
See: http://www.rsa.com/rsalabs/node.asp?id=2093
Solving one of these challenges might be a nice project idea, as there is a
reward, and it will not take a very large amount of time, unlike RC5-72. On
the other hand, it will take enough time to code the new clients, keyservers...