[RC5] Vote for RC5-72

Christopher Hicks chicks at chicks.net
Sat May 26 19:20:46 EDT 2007

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 12:40:25PM -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 06:07:15PM +0200, tychoalba wrote:
> > I agree totally to this.
> > There is no reason to stop RC5-72. Maybe we?ll find a new sponsor, but I
> > think that money is not the actual motivator for us. We already have a
> > good  infrastructure and dnet is doing a great job, so let?s go on
> > crunching!!!!
>
> FWIW, if money is that big a deal we do have the ability to still pay
> the prizes out, even without the RSA.

That's a cool idea.  It seems fair that somebody do the honorable thing and pay out the prize.  It would probably generate some cool press to say "hey, we're backing RSA's lame promises".  I doubt anybody can effectively compete with d.net, but opening up that possibility makes it all so much more entertaining.

I'd love to see more OGR-esque projects that are valuable to science or humanity, and I would certainly hope that a couple more things along those lines were "in the bag" before we considered "pausing" Rc5-72 until technology catchs up.  We may be the only people doing anything worth a s&*t on the PS3, so it'd be tragic to lose that effort now too.  I'm spending my holiday weekend trying to refurb some machines to get them crunching.  And they'll spend most of their time doing RC5-72.  I usually do 1 OGR block for every 10 RC5 blocks.

And even if we are all stats sluts, so be it.

Thanks to all the volunteers and happy holidays to all.

--
</chris>

"The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back!"