[RC5] [Announcement] New version of PS3 beta client

Decibel! decibel at distributed.net
Tue Sep 11 16:07:16 EDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 10:53:00AM +0200, Coudret Vincent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to run the distributed.net client from XMB,
> as Folding at home ?
>
> It would be simple to run for many people that don't have Linux installed...

That is definitely a goal. My understanding is that it requires a PS3
SDK, which requires $$$. Donations welcome. :)

> Will the client use the nvidia card to crunch  little bit better ?

The development work has been done on linux, but once we have a final
client it shouldn't be horribly difficult to port it to other platforms.
There are some issues though:

You don't want to actually try and use the machine with the client
running, because it tends to seriously impact the graphics. We'll likely
have a special screen-saver mode to handle this.

Not all OSes have CUDA drivers, notable *BSD.

The person who's been doing the CUDA work has become busy with other
things, so it's not clear how much progress will be made on the client.
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect            decibel at distributed.net