[RC5] [Announcement] New version of PS3 beta client

Ben Gavin thejet at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 16:18:56 EDT 2007

On 9/11/07, Decibel! <decibel at distributed.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 10:53:00AM +0200, Coudret Vincent wrote:
> > Will the client use the nvidia card to crunch  little bit better ?
>
> The development work has been done on linux, but once we have a final
> client it shouldn't be horribly difficult to port it to other platforms.
> There are some issues though:
>
> You don't want to actually try and use the machine with the client
> running, because it tends to seriously impact the graphics. We'll likely
> have a special screen-saver mode to handle this.
>
> Not all OSes have CUDA drivers, notable *BSD.
>
> The person who's been doing the CUDA work has become busy with other
> things, so it's not clear how much progress will be made on the client.

Just a note of clarification.  The PS3 also has an nVidia graphics processor
[RSX], but it is not accessible to our client to my knowledge [even in
native PS3 mode].  It is also not compatible with the nVidia CUDA libraries
which require an 8xxx series GPU [which the RSX is not].

As Decibel mentioned, there is work being done on a CUDA client, and we are
currently working through the logistics of releasing what amounts to a
screen-saver only client for most users.  Although those users with multiple
8xxx series cards should be able to run the client on all cards which aren't
currently serving the operating system GUI.

We are also working to integrate the 1.0 version of the CUDA libraries for
things like dynamic linking, GPU detection and such under all supported CUDA
platforms [currently only Windows/Linux].  We welcome any assistance that
anyone can offer on these fronts, specifically any help from those who have
used CUDA for other tasks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
TheJet