[RC5] AVG detects dnet.exe as a trojan and deletes it

Anonymous bugmesticky at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 17 20:45:11 EDT 2007

If you're looking for an antivirus program that's free, lightweight,
and has been tested to do just as well as the paid ones (and in some
cases better), you can always try Avast (http://www.avast.com). I use
it on all my systems, and have never had any problem with it flagging
dnetc or any other benign program as malware.

No, I'm not affiliated with Avast or anything like that, just a happy
user. :-) (In case any of you had doubts.)

For those who would rather stay with their existing antivirus
solutions, though, isn't it possible to tell the antivirus program to
exempt it from scanning? Every antivirus program that I've used has
had that ability.

On 9/17/07, Kevin McCoy <kgmccoy at idk-inc.com> wrote:
> That is a valid point, but what about the rest of use that have no recourse
> when an anti-virus program starts de-installing legitimate clients? I have
> 60-70 cows in my herd (I am an IT manager) and its hard enough to keep them
> all flying in formation without knee-jerk Trojan detection rules in low-end
> virus detection programs.
>
> It looks like the incidence of false-positive detection of dnet as a Trojan
> is on the upswing... Again. How long before we are locked out completely or
> have to de-install our AV programs just to get dnet to run?
>
> Kevin
>

> Gregory Sigman wrote:
> Sophos also treats this program as Malware. I had a dnetc client
installed
> om my
PC at work (not as a service) but after a Sophos update last week
the
> client was
detected as Malware.

> In all fairness to the virus detection industry, there are still a
goodly
> number of shady characters who will install dnetc without
permission on the
> computers of anyone they can gain access to, and
not always via a trojan. A
> badly configured dnetc, particularly on a
laptop or a less-than-well-made
> machine can go a long way towards
toasting the poor thing. Many computers
> are really not okay with